Tuesday, November 25, 2008

U.S of A (NY- PA - IL - WI - PA - NJ - NY in 25 days)

Obviously the update is old now but since everythings on brians comp and he leaves soon enough, I figure I have to send as much as I can... Pictures are up here http://picasaweb.google.com/neesha.chris/StopoverUSA

Its funny that my previous post (email) is the one where I said I couldnt blog and now this is just convenient for those people I'm not sure want their inboxes filled with my emails! Anyway enjoy.

Central Islip, NY- First stop.
Niti's house. Ex-flatmate from Pune. Taught me to cook (Many who thank you for that Niti- including me!), starch dupattas and this time, fold socks into a tight ball. Husband- Ashok. Son- Anish. Chatted. Reminisced. Bitched. Cooked. ATE. Laughed.

Nanticoke, PA
Jill's house. Ex store co-ordinator from the food coop where I spent all my free time in Urbana Champaign. Taught me to felt, work the register and I have yet to learn from her how to be "cool in chaos"! Husband- Cris. He rocks! Daughter- Tanny Beetle. Non stop driving and live entertainment. Thank you so much. I have to spend time with you guys (not in a car) on my way back to India. I forgot to give you the recipes as well.

Urbana- Champaign, IL
Champaignful, Chambana. Whatever you call it, it was home for three years. The good, the bad and the ugly!

Daniel. Ex professor. Writer of beautiful (even if type written) letters. Great biker and some day, professional musician and woodworker? Or are you secretly those already? Teacher of many many life lessons and master story teller. Oh and also, annoyingly adept at teasing me. How do you so apparently effortlessly welcome someone into your home? Daughter- Scooter. Away in Maine (Darn it!). Super hockey player. Son- Buck. Wise young man (and also super athlete!)

May. Ed psych doctoral student. Friend. How do I describe you? All I can say is I respect and love you a lot!

Michelle. Ex- advisor, mentor, friend, caretaker, chair. I'm so glad she is no longer the last, only because I got to spend so much time with her. Thank you for the party and the lunches and chats. Hi to Ariana and Daniel.

Linda. I have been hearing that 'word' quite a lot lately (pronounced leenda). It means "beautiful" em portugues ;-) ! It should mean extraordinary. Host. Maker of homemade customised gifts. Co-ordinator of all kinds of events and experiences. Thank you so much for all the preparations and much more. I so enjoyed sitting in on your class and spending time just talking in the garden. Thank you Denis for co- hosting and David for showing up for one evening! Missed Ben (and not only for his desserts!) Hi to the Philes and Darmodys (sp?) More pics of the reunion http://picasaweb.google.com/lindasims/Lab_Reunion_Sept08#

Megger. Soon to be PhD. The youngest professor I know! Wow if I had half your discipline.... Keep me in the loop about where you are.

Sujai. Around the world in 120 days (visiting friends and family and couch surfing)! Only you can manage that! Say hi to your mum. Safe travels. I'll see you either in India (in mango season?) or some where else. :-)

Lucia. University professor but (I think) should be comedienne! Wish you could have stayed longer than the weekend. How are you doing? Please can you squeeze in a trip to India soon. How can I forget - Ed. husband and a local celebrity- the weather man/ tornado guy! Hows Emma?

Chris. Kevin. Xiaobin. Di. Vinny. Marc. (and accompanying friends and family of all the preceeding) Thank you all so much for making it a great reunion. I loved how easy and fun it was.

Denis, Aisha, Tiago, Thais. The UIUC capoeira family. Unfortunately I missed the weekend event with Mestres Cabello e Tisza but had some great although very very VERY humbling classes! Wished I got to chat more with you- Aisha, still was fun catching up in the kitchen and the car.

Kung fu Dave and Mara. ex-neighbour extraordinaire and kung fu teacher. Mara also education alumnus (HRE though I think.) now working for the university. One of the best looking grandmas I know. Wish I had more time to hang out with them.

Laura, Joe and Quetzalli. My Xicana family in UIUC. Wow, how do you guys manage everything you do? Good luck finishing up the PhDs and the house too! Will tell you how I manage with Spanish in Argentina and Bolivia. Right now I'm in over my head with portuguese. For selfish reasonsl I'm glad you were still in UC. Thanks to you both also got to meet some of the others- Kevin, Tage, Judith, Gerardo, johanna.... Definitely missed Amar and Shivali but was glad to talk to her on the phone! Amar I will kill in India.

Mike. My link to all things co-op and local community there! Was so great seeing the sunset and meadowbrook park on our doomed drive!

Bobbi. ex BOAST keeper together (thats the after school place I'd volunteered at). Great breakfast! What was it called again- with buttermilk and black berries? Had fun catching up and was so good to see you with your new grandchild! Enjoy.
Wish I got to meet Kamau and Edgar, Kris, Ana and the new baby... but we can't always have everything right ;-) Maybe next time! (You three US ladies are also included among those I wished I got to see but I know that I'll see you.... soon....)

Madison, WI
Conan and Sarah. Eldest Noronha cousin and wife who's a great cook, decorator and soon business woman ;-) ! Thanks for showing me around Madison- Epic (such a cool place to work at!), State street and the Capitol and driving me early in the morning to catch my ride! And also for the food!

Nanticoke, PA

Princeton, NJ
Aparajita. Oops! Zutshi, PhD. Former roommate for TWO AND A HALF YEARS! Now researcher at Mathematica. Deepak- hilarious husband. Mrida- adorable 3.5 month old. Didn't get half enough time to hang out with you- see you on my way back! Hows the new car? Say hi to your dad for me. And folks at home too. Keep me updated. Pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/deepaksadhu/MridaNeesha?authkey=V5F1DmgUnYc#

New York City, NY
Nilesh Pereira. Please I would like to maintain my image so please dont go spreading rumours to your fiancee about me! Ha ha ha ha ha. Will miss your wedding ;-( Have a good time and don't let Inez do all the work and I'll do a celebratory dance for you both here :D. No pics of him - his fiance has him wearing a burqa :P

Central Islip.
Go back to the beginning of this mail! Thanks for my birthday surprise and see you soon!

The last time I lived in a place more than a year and left it, I never went back. Partly because of circumstances, partly because I am afraid no one is left in that 'in between' place people go to on their way to somewhere else. Was afraid UIUC would be the same but was so happy to see so many, some who came in especially! Thank you to ALL. I hope to see you - once again sooner than we each expect! And please PLEASE come visit.

No comments: